Zach-er-y n. a person with the greatest spirit, wit, singing voice and dance moves. This person may be found peddling his goods along the road of life.


Friday, March 26, 2010

Chapter 4

Zach was kept in the hospital nursery for ten days. On the eighth day my mom was finally able to hold him. During the day, mom would be home to spend time with us and after tucking us into bed, would race back to the hospital to be with Zach. Right before Halloween he came home, surrounded by those who loved him most. In the days to come, loved ones, friends, and ward members were being so kind and compassionate to my parents and our whole family. Pat Hoover and Stacey Phillips, friends of ours, were always taking the bigger kids for the day so my mom could rest and learn how to get a grip on some of Zach’s struggles as a baby. Without the support of these amazing people, it would have made life so much more difficult for my parents. Growing up, I’ve seen my mom do so much for other people and be anyone’s friend, and I know that this is why friends, family, and acquaintances were so willing to offer a hand. Both mom and dad are so grateful to them.

My name is Caitlin Sparks, and with the help of my mom, Olivia Swenson, we want to document our family’s life in the presence of Zach. From the time Zach was mobile, leading up to the age of seven, he managed to make headlines in our house almost everyday. The stories are endless, hilarious, sad, and stressful but have shaped and molded each member of our family into the people they are today. I want to take these stories and document them. This story of his birth may not sound all that interesting to you but it is just the beginning. I know that Zach is one of God’s most choice spirits and like our Savior, was born into an imperfect world to gain a body. In no way am comparing him to the Savior, but I do know that Zach is so special. Throughout his life, he has only taught and touched those around him. I also know that there are so many women and families out there who are struggling with the birth and development of a child with a disability. If hearing some of these stories and experiences help’s one person, then that’s all we could ask for. Best part of it all, you will laugh, there’s no doubt about that. Forgive my writing skills and stick around for more stories to come. Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Caitlin, this is amazing. You are a GOOD writer! I'm so excited about this. What a treasure this will be. I recently stumbled upon a blog of a mother who gave birth to a down syndrome daughter a couple of months ago. It has been so inspiring to read. Such a trial yet so many blessings and lessons come from these spirits. As for the nurses that attended to your mom, wtf. Why in the world would such mean people become nurses. It astounds me. Can't wait for more. This is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're a great writer! This was really great, and I can't wait to read more. I've always looked up to your family and been so impressed with you and how united you are and how you handle everything. It's so neat how zach has shaped your lives for the better and I'm excited to read more
    about it! This is such a great idea and something your family will treasure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are people to always look up to and be inspired by; I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for this blog!!! I have always loved "Zach stories". The kid is the best. I can't wait to learn from your learning. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story so far...You are a very talented writer! I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caitlin, I'm so excited to keep reading this blog! Can't wait for more! Thanks for sharing this with us. I love it!

    ReplyDelete